Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Confession #32 - Music Therapy

I am an emotional being.


In fact, I frequently roller coaster through most of the above emotions daily.
Who knows if that is normal, but at least I am honest.
:o)

Sometimes, I relate all to well with my almost three-year-old daughter.
One of my biggest issues is feeling overwhelmed followed by frustration.

Which leads quickly to anxiety. 
Anxiety is a big one!!

But one of the biggest feelings I loathe is anger - and frustration.
I think they are so closely related that they are inseparable.

Sometimes I get frustrated while I am working on a cake - it looks something like this:


:o)

But I am reminded quickly that:


...and I can't very well take out my frustration on the cake, now can I?
Just like we can't take it out on the people we are mad at.
Or frustrated with.
It's as silly as kicking your car - and hurting your foot.
Or punching something - and hurting your hand.

Well. Frustration is especially overwhelming for me, because every time I
am feeling frustrated, I get angry. And when I feel angry, 
I feel overwhelmed.


And every time without fail, the desire to scream and jump up and down and pull all my hair out and break something is immediately followed by the need to break out in the ugliest cry known to mankind. 
Sobbing hysteria I tell you!
Nothing else will do.


Confession: Sometimes, the only thing that helps me is my music therapy.
:o)
Sometimes there is no hope, you might as well let me work it out. 
I won't lie! 
I'm a toddler.
But sometimes, all I need is a walk on the treadmill with the right music!
Or a long drive, with the right music.

This helps me achieve my calm.

...my sanity. 


So! Here are four examples of my therapeutically angry music.

Genre... does not matter.

☼Note: I can not be responsible for the ridiculous music videos.☼

First up, is the original stress-reliever from my junior high/high school days.
I would pop their CD in my walkman (yeeeah!) and listen to it on the way to the bus stop, and on the ride to school. It always helped me deal with my emotional being before arriving to class.

"Human" from the Symphony & Metallica album
--classy meets angry rock--


Second, from my high school days.
If you know me, you know why this is therapeutic.
:o)

"Earl" by the Dixie Chicks from their "Fly" album
--sweet, unrealistic justice--


I stumbled upon this next one by accident.
:o)

"Gone" by Kelly Clarkson


And lastly, a song I love because it puts my frustration on the outside of my body. I love feeling like there will be justice, but also the song is bright enough that I can smile when it is over, and get on with my day.

"Mean" by Taylor Swift


Let's conclude this venting session traditionally.

By looking at something adorably cute.


♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment