Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Confession #30 - Mascara

I saw a picture of Martha Stewart on the cover of her Halloween 
edition magazine for this year, and it got me thinking.


For the longest time I have been 
- (just as the rest of you have!) - 
on a quest for the most perfect way to display my eyelashes.
What is up with that??

Well... eyelashes, to your face, are the equivolent of a picture frame you hang on a blank wall. (Your eyes are the picture ☺)


They are the biggest accessory place for your face, too!
Where else can you do the most without getting ridiculous?


Ok, too ridiculous.
(Hello! Are those fingers?? :oO )

As a kid/pre-teen, I loved the models on TV for the mascara commercials,
who have perfect eyelashes.


Which are in no way accomplished by the mascara, but are just amazing in general.
I longed to have those full, luxurious eyelashes.


Who hasn't?? 

Not the crazy "whoa-your-eye-is-totally-a-bird" kind...


...but just some nice, luxe lashes.

NOW.
Don't get me wrong.
I do like my own eyelashes.
But...you know, just as well as the next woman in the room, I have the deep-seated prehistoric need to desire more from my appearance. 

(What is wrong with all of us??? Another blog for another day...)

My point - 

Confession: I love mascara.

I found a new, fun mascara - that I've been using for about 2 weeks - that I love, but I am slightly embarrassed to admit WHY I love it. First, let me introduce you to my dynamic duo:


These... I use a lot lately.

The eye liner... I started using when I started applying my makeup while playing my part in the 'Savior of the World' production back in November 2010. I felt... embarassed? To wear so much makeup at the time (for me, it was a lot)... but for me, the liner works so great for my eye - it makes my eyelid appear smaller, so I appear more awake, which is terrific for me! 

The only down side to this liquid liner is that you have to be very careful when you apply - and where on your eye you apply it. It is soooo not water-resistant. Don't put it in between your eyelashes unless you want black eye crusties an hour later.

Yeah, you heard me.

The mascara... I ran out of my usual brand, and randomly picked something from the Maybelline section. A hundred years ago (ok 6 years ago) Maybelline had been all I'd used. I got the "classic" pink tube of death with the green lid. 
Why? Why do they still make that? 
Horrible. 
RETURNED.
So... I went back and got some real mascara. It was bright and happy, so I bought it. 

I literally put it on and while my eyelashes weren't a bunch thicker, it intrigued me. 
Later that night, I took a shower - ok let me insert here that I am a horrible care-taker of my face. I wash it in the shower, and moisturize it when I get out.
The end.
Anything more than that, and my brain sits on the couch with a bag of Cheetos. So... I don't use makeup remover... I use face wash in the shower, and carefully scrub with my scrubby gloves.

Terrible?
Maybe.
So! I took a shower, and washed my face and everything, and get out, and dry my face, and go to apply my moisturizer and I had a moment where I looked in the mirror.


WHOA!!!

This mascara is really REALLY waterproof!!!

We're talking... the most durable mascara I have owned to date. I actually couldn't get it off my eyes. "What?! I have to go buy makeup remover now?? Whatever..." (my brain processes) "...nahh I'll just get it in the shower tomorrow."

Hey, I've got little kids. I can be lazy sometimes, right?

Day two.
Mascara - still totally in tact. Lucky for me I didn't sleep on my face by accident and kink my eyelashes funny... yikes. Didn't flake or rub off at all. (No raccoon eyes!)

I'm thinking... this mascara... maybe it was supposed to be used to make tires but got re-directed by accident...

I shower, repeat surprise face, and lazy thought process, and crawl into bed.

Day three.
Mascara - STILL not budging. Grateful again for no face-sleeping.

Day four. 
This is getting serious. I am not a barbie.
Not that that has anything to do with anything, but things are getting a little ridiculous.
After four showers, I spend a little extra time scrubbing and using a different soap... and the mascara gives way. Maybe I will have to invest in makeup remover after all. 
Sigh.

So... I love this mascara, totally for being superhero durable.
(I am an emotional lady. I have my needs.)
If you need durable, 140% waterproof mascara, this stuff is for you!

So I had to throw on my dynamic duo to show you them in action.




This mascara was made for Wonder Woman.
That must be it!
Glad they leaked their secrets to Maybelline.

:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment