Friday, August 12, 2011

Sugar Cube FHE

August 4th, 2011
The Sugar Cube Temple

So this sugar cube temple was part of FHE. I made the Moroni out of a little bell, and a little gold ball, and some wire. The windows are sequins.

It made me think though, what else could I make out of sugar cubes?! I can't wait to find out. 



By the way, this was super easy, and your kids would love doing it. All it is - sugar cubes, royal icing (to stick them together, and then decorate with), sequins etc- whatever you want to decorate it with. I stuck mine on some poster board, but you could also use a paper plate! You can stick things to it that are not edible, because you are not intended to eat it. (And don't. Sugar cubes are nasty.)

If you do make one, please! Let me know! I would love to see how they turn out.

Royal Icing Recipe: (makes about 3 cups of icing)
Ingredients
3 tbsp Wilton Meringue Powder
4 cups icing (aka powdered) sugar
6 tbsp warm water

Directions
Beat all ingredients until medium-stiff peaks form. (It takes me about 5-7 minutes on my kitchenaid on 8. It's supposed to take 10 minutes with a hand-held mixer.)

*Keep your utensils grease free, keep a moist towel over the bowl while you are working with it. This will form a crust quickly, but if you want it to completely dry I would give it overnight at least. You could also experiment with piping designs on parchment paper, and letting them dry overnight, and then attaching them to your building. Or landscape! You could totally make trees if you wanted to. Ooo I wonder what a whole temple made out of royal icing would look like! I'll stop talking now. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment